ENQUIRE NOW
Wellington Voices
Homepage Community Wellington Voices

We are Wellington | Giving wings to the music dream

30 Jan 2023

At Wellington College International School, our holistic education encourages well-rounded development, so the individual scholarship is targeted at pupils who exhibit outstanding performance in the arts, sports and music. One of our year 5 pupils, Cheryl, is a music scholar at the school. In today’s We are Wellington, we interviewed her mother, who shared her insight on choosing Wellington and Cheryl’s music journey at the school. How should one find a school that aims for academic excellence and individual development where a child can feel like a fish in water and thrive? Let us find out more from Cheryl’s mother.

Please give us a brief introduction to the family and Cheryl.

Cheryl joined Wellington College Hangzhou family in its founding year in 2018 and is now a year 5 pupil at Wellington College International Hangzhou. She loves playing the piano and cello, ballet and travelling. She is also a wonderful older sister to both her younger siblings.

Cheryl is a founding pupil of Wellington from 2018, what was your first impression of the school? What attracted you to choose Wellington for Cheryl?

I eagerly visited the campus even though it was still under construction. From my initial visit, I believed that Wellington would be the first of its kind in Hangzhou with such a high standard for facilities – a large swimming pool, gym and grand theatre for professional performances. I was extremely satisfied with the hardware facilities. Furthermore, I felt assured when I learnt the school hires highly skilled teachers through Wellington group’s global recruitment events and that every teacher must meet strict requirements set by the group. We were also delighted to find that the school’s educational ethos aligned with ours as a family. These were the reasons we chose Wellington above many other schools.

What was the biggest challenge for Cheryl when she first joined Wellington, and how did she overcome it?

When Cheryl first joined Wellington, she was a bit shy and reluctant to express her opinions. However, with the encouragement and support from the teachers at Wellington, she adjusted to her new environment smoothly and made many good friends.

Cheryl has talents in music and is one of the music scholars. What is it that contributes to her success?

I think the scholarship programme can be something that drives a child to work harder, make substantial learning objectives for a specific period of time and eventually improve their academic performance. Once recognised by the outside world, children will find more confidence to demonstrate their talent and become a better version of themselves.

Can you please share Cheryl’s music journey?

Cheryl started to learn two musical instruments at a very young age. She began to learn piano at four and cello at seven. Learning to play an instrument can be a tedious task; it requires one to practice unremittingly year after year. Like many children learning to play an instrument at a young age, Cheryl felt occasionally overwhelmed, especially when she had just started to learn to read music. However, she was always encouraged and supported by Wellington and us as parents to overcome her fear of challenge. In these few years at Wellington, her love for music has grown massively. At seven, she won first prize in the Seven Skills competition hosted by the Hangzhou Education Bureau. When she was eight, she scored 142 out of 150 on her ABRSM Grade 8 exam, the highest grade for amateur players, and 132 on her ABRSM Grade 3 cello exam. At the age of nine, she gained 74 out of 75 in her ABRSM Grade 5 musical theory exam. It was also the year when she had her personal concert at the Opera House at Hangzhou Grand Theatre, which was well received by the audience. Last year, Cheryl participated in the national final of the Steinway & Sons Piano Competition for the Youth in China as a top 3 player in the eastern region of China. Such rewarding results could not be obtained without the support from Wellington’s philosophy of education, well-rounded talents and professional guidance from the Wellington teachers, as well as her passion for music and diligent practice.

From your perspective, how does Wellington support Cheryl’s well-rounded development, academically and personally?

Since joining Wellington, Cheryl’s English speaking and writing skills have improved dramatically. She is now a more independent learner that requires no pushing from her parents to complete her homework. We are proud that Cheryl won several Wellington Academic Attainment Awards. As for personal growth, she is more confident and courageous. She has made good friends at school and now looks forward to going to school every day.

Can you please share the most unforgettable story of your child at Wellington?

Cheryl is a member of the choir. In each of the five years since the founding of the Wellington College Hangzhou choir, we have lit the Christmas tree accompanied by the beautiful songs of the choir . Children singing, parents enjoining hot mulled wine – how festive it has been! It is definitely what we love to do on cold winter days.

Christmas celebrations at Wellington Hangzhou

Of the five Wellington values of courage, respect, integrity, kindness and responsibility, which is most important to you and your family? Why? Do you think your child’s behaviour fulfilled the Wellington key values? Can you give us some examples?

I think all Wellington values are of vital importance. Cheryl shows courage as she fearlessly embraces challenges head-on. She respects others and recognises them, and takes any assignment set by teachers seriously. She can tell right from wrong and has a great sense of responsibility.

What’s your education goal and plan for Cheryl? What are your expectations for Cheryl at Wellington and her life beyond?

I want Cheryl to enjoy her childhood at Wellington College International Hangzhou, equip herself with knowledge, and appreciate her time with teachers and friends. Beyond this, I also hope Cheryl can attend her ideal university for future study.

At Wellington College International Hangzhou in Wellington College Hangzhou, we aspire to create a caring, international community that develops well-rounded individuals with strong values and the skills and identity to thrive in an ever-changing world. Community is at the centre of all we do at Wellington. We continuously strive to work together with our parents, staff and pupils to develop that strong sense of community that makes international schools unique. In this series of "We Are Wellington" articles, we aim to tell the stories of those families and highlight the special contributions they make to our community.